The safe way to monitor your batteries.
All batteries comprises a number of interconnected cells. The battery voltage increases with the number of cells that are connected in series, but the number of cells in series also increases two risk factors:
- High voltage implies increased risk for personal injury and flash-over that can cause explosion or other damage to the battery.
- Large cell count increases the risk for an open-cell condition and thereby power failure.
The only possible way to detect a battery fault before it can cause a power failure is by continuously monitor each battery cell (or group of cells). However, this must be done without introducing any additional risk factors , e.g. unintentional discharge of the battery.
Batscan is a monitoring system especially developed to monitor high voltage UPS-batteries in a safe and economical way.
Batscan’s unique proprietary technology includes advanced signal processing, which makes it possible to achieve high performance and functionality, without having any direct (low impedance) connection to the battery.
Each individual battery cell or block is continuously monitored for faults and any abnormality that may affect the reliability or lifetime of the battery.
Batscan samples all string currents and block voltages simultaneously at high speed, 2 500 000 new measured values are processed every minute. The high speed gives superior accuracy and resolution, both in time and amplitude.
The Batscan software runs on a standard PC (with Windows OS) that provides post processing power, hard disk storage and a user friendly graphical interface as well as connectivity to networks and other alarm and automation systems.
No direct connection is made to the battery, instead high value resistors (2MO) is used to isolate the measuring leads from the battery terminals. In addition, double reinforced isolation is provided by high voltage transformers. Potential risks for hazards will occur if anything were to be directly attached to the battery, for example a short circuit or human injury. One of the many risks direct connection contributes to is that it will damage the battery itself. It is therefore more harmful to use a battery monitoring system that interfere with the battery by direct connections than to not use one. This is one of the biggest factors in how Batscan differs from ordinary battery monitoring systems. Batscan will not interfere directly with the battery and eliminates in that way potential hazards.
This extraordinary high level of protection and safety, which exceeds the requirements of all regulatory directives, is implemented to protect the battery from accidental discharge under all circumstances.
Benefits (of having a good battery monitoring system)
- Ensures battery reliability by detecting faults without latency
- Conserves the environment and optimizes the owners battery economy by allowing replacement of faulty cells as soon as needed, and not the rest of the battery until worn out
Advantages (of Batscan)
- Safe for people and batteries
- Modular design, easy to install, expand and maintain
- User friendly Windows based software
- Up to 15 batteries per PC (limited by GUI readability)
- Unattended operation (when connected to another alarm system)
- Unmatched overall performance and safety
- UPS batteries
- Telecom batteries
- Electric Utility/Switchgear
- Railroad Signal
- … and all other batteries with four or more cell/blocks in series